Lead Author for a Study
“The role of
political parties and civil society organizations in ensuring political
participation of citizens in representative democracies.”
The European Network of Political Foundations (ENoP) is a platform for communication and dialogue between political foundations in Europe, the EU institutions, and civil society organisations (CSOs) in the fields of democracy support, development cooperation and political dialogue. The network consists of 54 member foundations and one affiliated entity, coming from 23 countries within the EU. The members are close to six party families – ECR, EPP, Greens/EFA, GUE/NGL, Renew Europe and S&D – represented in the European Parliament, and belonging to the democratic spectrum.
The main focus of ENoP is reflected in the activities of four working groups: “Sustainable Development”, “Democracy”, “The Future of Europe” and “EU Funding” as well as in the implementation of relevant projects with local partners in more than 100 countries around the world. In 2016, ENoP has signed a Framework Partnership Agreement (FPA) with the European Commission and since 2019 it is an implementer of an EU co-funded project, aimed at strengthening the organisation as an actor in support of democratic and pluralistic societies.
In this context, ENoP is looking to hire a lead author and commission him/her to develop a study on: “The role of political parties and civil society organizations in ensuring political participation of citizens in representative democracies.” The study will cover all of the following countries:
- Southeast Asia: Philippines, Cambodia
- Africa: Tunisia, Benin, Kenya
- Latin America: Bolivia
The Lead author should ensure the timely delivery and quality content of the study, reflecting country examples from all of the above-mentioned six countries.
Main responsibilities & tasks include:
- Develop a questionnaire for the country experts aimed at obtaining detailed first-hand data for the study from each of the respective countries;
- Draft country summaries for each of the six countries, based on the input collected from the country experts;
- Act as contact person and coordinate the work of all country experts;
- Develop the content of the study based on the structure and predefined questions in the Terms of Reference (ToR);
- Integrate the country analysis and add all chapters together in a coherent manner;
- Provide timely feedback to ENoP at any stage of the drafting process;
- Deliver the interim and final products in a timely manner.
- Senior expert on international development cooperation, with at least 7 years of relevant professional experience on political party cooperation in third countries;
- Understanding of the EU’s development and democracy support policies, with a strong focus on cooperation with civil society and political parties in partner countries;
- Previous engagement in cooperation with civil society organizations, including through strengthening CSOs is a strong asset;
- Experience with political party advisory in partner countries is an asset;
- Participation in international or regional policy meetings, such as diplomatic forums, working groups, high-level political meetings, policy workshops, etc. is considered an asset;
- Fluent in English (both, spoken and written)
- Candidates should address their applications to ENoP Executive Director Mana Livardjani by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 30 September 2020 12:00 (midday)
- Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Links to published articles and studies
- 3 recent relevant publications in pdf format
- Detailed service price quote for the assignment
For more details, please find enclosed the complete Terms of Reference (ToR).