Background of the training
The goal of policy communication can be thought of as informing citizens of the existence of a policy and persuading them to participate in and/or comply with the policy requirements. Target-based communication enhances policy effectiveness and contributes to strengthen the public’s trust, which is crucial to guarantee the credibility of their policies. To do effective outreach to policy makers, it is important to understand what they care about and what motivates them and to structure of the arguments in a way that will resonate with targeted beneficiaries.
Objective of the training
The objective of the training is to provide participants with knowledge and set of tools for presenting and effectively communicating their policy work. Participants will learn how to target the audience and communicate key messages with the right level of detail in order to have the biggest effect on targeted stakeholders. After the training, participants will be able to critically assess the methods and approaches to lobbyists and other stakeholders in policymaking process.
Scope and methodology of the training
- Stakeholder mapping and analysis;
- Understanding the principles of lobbying and approaches on the policymaking process;
- Setting goals/outcomes;
- Formulating the communication;
- The seven C’s of communication: clear, correct, complete, concrete, concise, considered and courteous;
- Storytelling and narratives in policy communication;
- Tools and channels for effective policy communication.
This list is indicative and non-exhaustive. The trainer should suggest a more detailed and articulated programme. Every component of the training should be backed by a practical exercise with the group aiming to keep the interaction and attention of participants.
- Methodological mix: Combining input by the trainer with interactive elements such as group work, mini-surveys etc.
- Leaving room for individual questions of participants and exchange of experience among participants
- Providing Power Point Presentation & list of online resources that participants can use after the training
Required profile of the trainer
- Expertise on working with policy analysis, in particular in the European public sphere
- Track record of successfully implemented trainings
- Profound expertise in developing training concepts and in conducting trainings
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent English skills
- Receipt of training offer by 15 September 2022
- Moderation and facilitation of a 4 hours online training via Zoom (or other online platform provided by trainer).
Expression of interest
Experts with the above mentioned profile are kindly invited to send their CV, outlining their relevant experience and their expected overall fee for the preparation and the facilitation of the training as well as proposed program of the training. Applications shall be sent to Aleksandra Starčević firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 September 2022.
For further details please refer to the full Terms of Reference below: